Office Online is a great tool that you can use within the Edmodo platform for your classroom needs. Below are the features that are available for Microsoft Office Online with Edmodo:
- Office Online Offered Features
- Creating a File in Office Online
- Editing an Office Online File
- Downloading an Office Online File
While Office Online offers many of the same features as the full application, not all Office features are available on Office Online. Please see the following links to learn which features are and are not available on Office Online.
With Microsoft Office Online, teachers and students will be able to create Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files directly from within Edmodo! To create an Office Online file:
- Navigate to your Library
- Click New in the top right-hand corner
- Select the type of Office file you want to create
Note: Once your new Office file is created, you can begin working on it. The file's name and save location will be in the top left-hand corner. Edits are automatically saved and you can edit your file at any time.
You can edit any of your own Office Online files or ones that you have added to your Backpack/Library. Office Online Files are editable file types that you can always come back to for later modifications or updates. Any changes that you make will be monitored and saved automatically as you can see by the Saving... status in the top left-hand corner of the page. Once any of your changes are fully saved, you'll se, Saved to Edmodo. See a list of file types you can edit.
What if you don't have editing access?
If you do not have the ability to edit an Office Online file then it's likely due to the face that the file hasn't been saved to your Library/Backpack, or it is not an editable file type. Here are some quick-fix solutions:
- Add the file to your Library/Backpack. This will create your own personal version that you own and can edit.
- Confirm that the file has an editable format! If is not an editable file type, try downloading it to your computer and saving it as such in your Backpack/Library.
Editable file types:
- Word: .docx, .docm, .odt
- Excel: .xlsx, .xlsm, .xlsb, .ods
- Powerpoint: .pptx, ppsx, .odp
Note: If you get an error message saying "Sorry, you can't edit this document with other people," this means that the document is being edited in multiple browser tabs. Make sure to close all tabs that contain the document, then open it and edit again in a single tab.
In addition to editing Office Online files with Edmodo, you also have the ability to download them to your computer. This allows you to open the file in the full Microsoft application and make any modifications while offline. Office Online files can be downloaded in one of two ways: from within Edmodo or from Office Online.
To Download an Office File within Edmodo:
- Navigate to the Class/Group Post which contains the file
- Click More to the right file's name > Download
Download an Office File from within Office Online:
- Open the file that you wish to download
- Select Download in the top right corner